Classic Sloppy Joes
- Category: Pasta and Grains
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Step 1
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes.Advertisement
- Step 2
Add ground beef to skillet. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Step 3
Stir tomato sauce, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce into beef mixture in skillet. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Step 4
Season the mixture with more salt and pepper, as desired. Spoon onto buns, and serve immediately.