Chicken and Chickpea Soup
- Category: Dinner Recipes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Step 1
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook, skin side down, until skin is browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Flip chicken and cook until browned, 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.Advertisement
- Step 2
Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons garlic and spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in carrots and return chicken to pot. Stir in broth.
- Step 3
Bring to a boil. Reduce to a medium simmer, partially cover, and cook until chicken is falling off the bone, 50 minutes.
- Step 4
Remove chicken from soup. When cool enough to handle, tear chicken into large pieces, discarding skin and bones. Return meat to pot. Add chickpeas and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. In a small bowl, stir together 1 teaspoon garlic, lemon zest, and cilantro; sprinkle over soup before serving.